Getting A Breast Lifting Mastopexy Surgery in Singapore
Many women in Singapore have undergone a breast lift surgery to enhance their breast appearance, giving them a more youthful and perkier projection and regain their pre-pregnancy breast shape and firmness. A woman’s breasts often change over time, losing their youthful firmess and shape due to changes and loss of skin elasticity that resulted from pregnancy, breastfeeding, aging, heredity and weight fluctuations.
Breast lift surgery, also known as mastopexy, is to make the breasts more attractive and youthful by raising the breasts and removing excess skin, tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour and elevates the sagging nipple to a more acceptable level. No implant is necessary if a patient is happy with her overall size. The whole procedure usually takes about two hours to perform under sedation or general anesthesia and the recovery is about one week off from work.
There are many different types of breast lifts available and breast lift procedure can be achieved through a variety of incision patterns and techniques. The appropriate technique for a patient will be determined based on several factors
- The degree of breast sagging
- Skin quality and elasticity as well as the amount of extra skin
- The size and position of areolas
- Breast size and shape
There are various incision techniques and three commonly incision patterns are:
- Around the areola
- Around the areola and vertically down from the areola to the breast crease
- Around the areola, vertically down from the breast crease and horizontally along the breast crease.
There are minimal incision breast lifts, but these are best for people who only need a minimal lift. For people who need more extensive lifting, then you need longer or different incisions to achieve a nice aesthetic result. Sometimes, if you have an implant placed at the same time as the lift, then you may not need as long of incisions, but this also depends on your anatomy.
If you have a lot of sagging, then a vertical breast lift will be suitable and this could be done with or without implants. In general, the more the incisions, the greater the lift that is possible in the breasts. When a great deal of saggy skin is present, larger lifts are necessary. Your plastic surgeon will recommend the incisions which best suit your anatomy.
After your doctor makes the incisions:
- The underlying breast tissue is lifted and reshaped to improve breast contour and firmness.
- The nipple and areola are repositioned to a natural, more youthful height.
- If necessary, enlarged areolas are reduced by excising skin at the perimeter.
- Excess breast skin is removed to compensate for a loss of elasticity.
- After your breasts are reshaped and excess skin is removed, the remaining skin is tightened as the incisions are closed.
- Sutures are layered deep within the breast tissue to create and support the newly shaped breasts. Sutures, skin adhesives and/or surgical tape may be used to close the skin.
The results of your breast lift surgery are immediately visible. Some incision lines resulting from breast lift are concealed in the natural breast contours; however, others are visible on the breast surface.
Breast lifts have grown in popularity and outpacing breast implants. Breast implants are still overwhelming choice for women, but since 2000 breast lifts are up 70%.
What Make A Good Candidate For Breast Lift?
The ideal candidate for a breast lift is a woman who has a good amount of breast tissue left, who doesn’t necessarily want to have implants
- You are already over the age of 18
- You are not planning to become pregnant
- You are currently not pregnant nor are breastfeeding.
- You have a stable weight and are not thinking or planning to have any major weight loss
- Your breasts have begun to sag or droop
- Your nipples are pointing downward and your areolae are stretched
- Breasts have lost volume and are lacking firmness and substance
- You have uneven breasts
- You are physically healthy and emotionally stable.
What Breast Lift Will Not Do?
Breast lift surgery does not significantly change the size of your breasts or round out the upper part of your breast. If there is too little breast volume or if you want your breasts to look fuller, a breast augmentation may be combined with a breast lift. However if you want smaller breasts, consider combining breast lift with a breast reduction surgery.
Breast Lift Risks and Complications
Some of the potential risks or complications after a breast lift or mastopexy could be infection, poor healing of incisions, unattractive scarring, bleeding or hematoma formation underneath the skin of the breast, changes in nipple or breast sensation, which may be temporary or permanent, potential partial or total loss of nipple and areola.
Understanding risks is a key to prevention. Infection could be reduced through the usage antibiotics prior to the procedure. Is important that you are in good health – not nursing a cold/cough or recovering from any infection, before the surgery.
Bleeding risks could also be reduced by stopping herbal supplements, aspirin and other medications which may contribute to bleeding well before the procedure.
Poor healing may occur and some form of scarring will appear. The scar can become thick or wide. Rarely the wound will not heal immediately. You have some scars which will typically fade to a thin, white line that most patients find acceptable and definitely worth the trade off of nice, perkier and more youthful breasts.
Change in nipple sensation is very uncommon with breast lift though you should know that it can happen. Breast feeding is not often affected by breast lift, though know it can happen.
Fortunately, severe complications are very rare when done correctly by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. It is important that you address all of your questions directly with your plastic surgeon.
Pros & Cons of Breast Lift Surgery
Some of the advantages are:
- Your breast will have an improved shape, projection, and symmetry
- Your breasts will look more youthful
- You look better in and out of clothes and get a boost in your self-confidence
Some of the cons are:
- The effects of a breast lift are not forever, they might slowly diminish over time due to force of gravity and aging.
- A breast lift could leave some scars but these can be be hidden in a bra or swimsuit and will fade over time
- Subsequent pregnancy may compromise your surgical results.